A friend of mine published this realy great post about Information Retrieval. I have reblogged it here.
Information Retrieval (IR) is the activity of obtaining information from large collections of Information sources in response to a need.
The working of Information Retrieval process is explained below
- The Process of Information Retrieval starts when a user creates any query into the system through some graphical interface provided.
- These user-defined queries are the statements of needed information. for example, queries fork by users in search engines.
- In IR single query does not match to the right data object instead it matches with the several collections of data objects from which the most relevant document is taken into consideration for further evaluation.
- The ranking of relevant documents is done to find out the most related document to the given query.
- This is the key difference between the Database searching and Information Retrieval.
- After the query is sent to the core of the system. This part has the access to the content management…
View original post 223 more words