I am not a Blogging Guru although I would like to share some of the tips I learnt over past days while blogging and today I am going to share them with you. Actually, a blog owner recently commented on one of my posts asking to write about Blogging tips for beginners and here I am sharing my experience with you.
Many people start blogging because they think that it will be kind of Facebook and we can make easy money. Sorry guys but if you want to start a blog that is long lasting and helpful to the readers, you should really be passionate about it, or you will in months you will get lazy and bored. As Bill Gates says ‘There is no shortcut to success, hard work is the only way’, quite true although when you work on something that you enjoy doing then it will not fill like hard work.
Now when we start a blog, there are lot of things that we should keep in mind and should take care of. So, here this time I have done something different, it is like a checklist or to do list. You just have to check those things you have done and you haven’t and thus you can keep track of things. Let us begin!
· Have some good plugins installed (only for wordpress.org users): There are number of utility plugins that wordpress provides the users, which are really helpful to build your blog. Check out my post Top Recommended wordpress Plugins.
· Submit your website to Google Webmasters: Google Webmasters sort of take care of your site. They check and inform you about the health of your site and they also check the broken links or errors at your website. Whenever there is a spam on your website or your website gets hacked, they send you an alert email with solutions. Also, make sure you submit your Sitemap to them that helps you for Google search engine optimization. You can also get Optimization tips and traffic status.
· Add you website to Google Analytics Programme: Today almost every website uses Google Analytics Programme. They give an in depth report of every aspect of your website, the Page views, Time spent, Search queries, Traffic sources, Audience behavior, Conversions, Content, etc. which helps you to understand your audience better. There are graphs, pie diagrams, mobile support, and also AdSense support.
· Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Search Engine Optimization is the optimization of your website and its appearance in a way that the search engines find it easy to crawl on your website, index your content accordingly and then showing up your content in search results as per the key words. Submit your sitemap occasionally (even though they do it on their own) to Google and Bing Webmasters so that it becomes easy for them to crawl on your content and index it quickly and efficiently. Make sure your post contains those keywords that people search for, this helps Google to rank your blog higher. Write posts in a friendly way and write on those topics that are really helpful to people. Optimize your website according to Google Webmasters Guidelines. Do not use copy right content, or spam on your website. That really upsets Google very much! Check out my post on How to write interesting Posts.
· Selection of Theme: Selection of themes is quite important but many bloggers tend to neglect it. They put up some fancy themes with useless widgets at every empty corner. Several users are lazy to update there browsers so their older browsers do not support such fancy themes plus these theme have large file size so they take a huge time to load. Now even though it is ten or twenty seconds but these, few bunch of seconds make a huge difference and put a bad impression on the user. On the other hand, simple themes are fast to load, support older browsers also, they have simple and pleasant colour combination instead of contrasting or those annoying dark colours.
· English or get one Translator! : Write your posts in English as it is kind of an international language and majority of people understand it. Remember write it in simple English using hard dictionary words will not make you look like a hard core blogger, it’s the content that rules here and not other fancy things. If you are so desperate to write in other languages then add Google Translator as widget so it gets translated in seconds to any language you want to read in.
· Keep eye on Social networking: After you launch your blog create a fan page at Facebook and twitter. Recently, Google+ launched a brilliant feature called community it is the best place to meet people with similar interests so make it a point to open a fan page on Google+ too. Social networks promote your website among the audience and they get to know more about you. Keep tweeting and posting on these fan pages to be noticed amongst the users.
· Join Forums: Forums is the best way to meet up with the people from your niche. You can share your experience and problems and even find solution for them. I mostly get many topics ideas for writing posts from these forums only! Start a thread and discuss things. Thus, you get different opinions and perspectives making your thinking wider.
· Appreciate others: If you are a beginner and wants to get appreciated and recognized for your work then start recognizing other’s work too. A simple feedback or an encouraging comment can make a difference. The famous writer Dail Carnegie says ‘It is lot easier to make friends by getting interested in them instead of making them interested in you.’
Follow these tips, make your blog a success, post things that people really need to know and post it with the intention to help them. Good Luck! Hope I haven’t miss anything, if I have please mention it in the comments or if you have your own secret tips for blogging then share them with the rest of the world.